Call for Papers: Workshop: Spatial In/justice: Linking Perspectives from Geography and Philosophy
organized by Andreas Koch (Social Geography, Salzburg) and Gottfried Schweiger (Political Philosophy, Salzburg)
13. & 14 September 2018, University of Salzburg
Part of the 2018 Salzburg Conference in Interdisciplinary Poverty Research on Space and Poverty
The aim of this workshop is to facilitate an interdisciplinary discussion and exchange of ideas and knowledge between geography and philosophy on issues of spatial in/justice. Spatial in/justice is certainly of high interest to both disciplines, whether it be in the form of poverty, inequality, exclusion, marginalization or oppression or issues of rights, morality, agency or knowledge production regarding spaces. Both disciplines have produced valuable insights on these issues over the last decades and yet it seems as if they are rather separated from each other. This workshop is dedicated to explore how geographical and philosophical concepts, theories, insights and methods can learn, enrich or even criticize each other to help us to better understand spatial in/justice but also to construct better practices and policies to overcome them. This workshop is open to several different conceptual and methodological approaches and theoretical backgrounds within geography and philosophy (e.g. Structuralism, Marxism, Critical Theory, Liberalism…).
Questions and topics that might be explored are, among others,
- Concepts, (critical) theories, knowledge, and constructions of spatial in/justice
- Spatial in/justice and spatial inequalities (e.g. poverty, exclusion, exploitation)
- Rights and spaces, e.g. the right to the city
- Issues of normativity in geography and geographical knowledge
- Space(s) in theories of global and social in/justice
- Intersections of spatial in/justice with race, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship or class
- Politics and policies of spatial in/justice
- Subjectivity, agency and spatial in/justice
Interested colleagues are invited to submit an abstract of 500 words as a .doc or .odt file to gottfried.schweiger[a]sbg.ac.at before March 31st 2018. Decisions will be communicated within two weeks.
It is expected that draft papers are shared two weeks in advance of the workshop. A publication of the papers presented in this workshop is envisaged.
Please be aware: This workshop is part of the 2018 Salzburg Conference in Interdisciplinary Poverty Research on Space and Poverty. The organizers can offer a waiver of the conference fee (100€) for paper givers in this workshop. Coffee breaks, two lunches and the conference dinner are provided but participants need to cover their travel expenses and accommodation.